Keeping Mold Out of Your Home

Molds are organisms that break down animal matter and dead plants. They need a moist environment to survive and grow. Though most molds are found outside, they can make their way into your home on pets, clothing, and shoes, through open windows and air conditioning systems. Once inside your home, mold needs a moist environment as a food source, such as lint, ceiling tiles, and or wallpaper to grow. It not only damages your property, but it can also cause serious health problems after long-term exposure, and who would want that?

Here are some of the preventative tips for keeping mold out of your home.

  • Clean up any water damage or flooding thoroughly and immediately.
  • Use a dehumidifier and a wet/dry vacuum to remove water quickly.
  • Remove carpeting that cannot be dried out within 48 hours. If your carpet was contaminated by sewer water or a flood, it needs to be replaced.
  • Repair basement cracks so that moisture cannot seep in.
  • Add mold inhibitors to paint.
  • Use a dehumidifier and/or air conditioner to reduce indoor moisture, especially during humid months of the year.
  • Empty the drip pans in your air conditioner, refrigerator, and dehumidifier regularly to prevent water buildup.
  • Run the exhaust fan for 20 minutes before and after showering or consider using a humidistat-controlled fan that turns off when the moisture is ventilated from the area.
  • Fix plumbing leaks immediately. Mold will begin to grow within 24 to 48 hours after a leak.

A mold problem can cause serious health effects, especially for young children, the elderly and those who suffer from allergies or asthma, and those with prior respiratory conditions. Symptoms of mold sensitivity include eye irritation, nasal stuffiness, shortness of breath, wheezing, and lung infections. If you or a family member are experiencing some of these symptoms, consult a physician for a proper evaluation and diagnosis. For more home safety guidance and homeowners’ insurance solutions, contact us today.

This blog is for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. For further information, please consult a medical professional.

Posted in