Massachusetts Law Update
PFML Draft Regulations for Public Comment
On March 29, 2019, the Massachusetts Department of Family and Medical Leave published updated, proposed regulations for the state’s Paid Family and Medical Leave (PFML) law for review and public comment. The department expects to release the final regulations ahead of the state’s July 1, 2019 deadline.
The PFML law is effective July 1, 2019.
Guide to Paid Family Leave
In March 2019, the Massachusetts Department of Family and Medical Leave released an employer’s guide to aid with employer requirements under the state’s Paid Family and Medical Leave law, effective July 1, 2019. The online guide contains:
· Timeline for implementation.
· Employer responsibilities.
· How to notify the workforce.
· Required employer contributions.
· Reporting and documentation.
· Exemptions for approved private plans.
· Requirements for self-employed individuals.
Additionally, reporting and documentation guidelines will be announced by the department prior to July 1, 2019.